Peter Reinhart's Q and A Forum
April 17, 2014, 08:31:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want to see Peter's workshop at the Asheville Bread Fesival in 2014? Go to the Asheville Bread Festival website and  become a member.  After you are approved you'll be able to view the entire 1 hour video.  The approval process is important to keep out spammers, and I regret having to do it but that is life in cyberspace!  I try to approve new members after a sorting out the spammers in less than a day. 
If you have problems, email me at markwittt@breadtechnique.com.  I'm looking forward to having you as a memeber of the ABF site.  It will be a great way to see what's going on at this important national event. Click here to go to Peter Reinhart's Blog .  PLEASE NOTE: It may take some time for your approval to come through, however this will NOT impact your ability to view information.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is oven spring? A semantic question.  (Read 2967 times)
burgeoningbaker

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »

I saw the following the other day in an article and was hoping someone could set me straight or give me their impression...

"That burst of heat in a well-heated oven is called 'oven spring.' It causes a final burst of fermentation and helps the bread finish rising before the heat kills the yeast. A hot oven also ensures the inside of the loaf will get baked through before the crust burns."

My thought was that oven spring is what happens to the bread and not the term for the burst of heat from a well heated oven?  Does this seem a bit confusing to anyone but me?

Kayakado

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »

I found the articles that you are citing.

My guess is either the reporter misunderstood or the newspaper editor got fast and loose with the editing.  You are right and the reporter is wrong.  Every thing I read about oven spring refers to the last rise of the bread triggered by the oven heat after it is put in the oven.  The crust drying out (why you'd mist or steam) and the yeast dying is what causes to the rising to cease.

A fine example of why not to believe what you read in the newspapers without verifying its truth and accuracy.
burgeoningbaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:41:04 PM »

Well I just want it clear that I'm not meaning any ill will toward the article or the writer.  I want to know sot hat if I'm explaining to others the bread process that I am using the correct term.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: