Peter Reinhart's Q and A Forum
August 01, 2014, 06:43:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Want to see Peter's workshop at the Asheville Bread Fesival in 2014? Go to the Asheville Bread Festival website and  become a member.  After you are approved you'll be able to view the entire 1 hour video.  The approval process is important to keep out spammers, and I regret having to do it but that is life in cyberspace!  I try to approve new members after a sorting out the spammers in less than a day. 
If you have problems, email me at markwittt@breadtechnique.com.  I'm looking forward to having you as a memeber of the ABF site.  It will be a great way to see what's going on at this important national event. Click here to go to Peter Reinhart's Blog .  PLEASE NOTE: It may take some time for your approval to come through, however this will NOT impact your ability to view information.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much dough in a classic baguette  (Read 3466 times)
nolan

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2009, 11:42:12 PM »

There's a comment in Peter's recipe for Classic French Bread that says you should use 10 ounces of dough to make what he calls a half-length baguette, or one that fits in a typical home oven. 

As I recall from the coverage of the Coupe du Monde de la Boulangerie last year, the baguettes that they must produce must weigh 400 grams or 14.1 ounces (baked weight) and must be about 30" in length. 

UPDATE:  I'm now officially confused.  The Bread Bakers Guild of America site says that the standard for a baguette is 250 grams, the official instructions for the 2010 competition posted there seem to say 400.  (What follows is written assuming 400 is correct, but if 250 is correct then those baguettes are even lighter.)

Are those baguettes just smaller in diameter than these?  The baguettes in the pictures from the 2008 competition don't seem to be that much smaller. 

My baguettes usually lose about 9-10% of their pre-baking weight, so that implies that a full 'standard sized' baguette would be somewhere around 445 grams or 15.6 ounces of dough.  I can get baguettes up to about 20" in length from my (slightly oversized) oven, so using the ratio from the Coupe du Monde, Peter's 10 ounces of dough should be enough for a 20" baguette. 

How much dough are people using for each baguette, and what length are they getting?

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:04:11 AM by nolan » Logged
Mare

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:13:19 PM »

Yes, Peter suggests 10 ounces of dough.  Farther on, in the shaping instructions, he says to "roll it to the baguette length (the full length of the sheet pan)."  I assume he means a half-sheet pan, which is 18" long, rather than a full sheet-pan which is 26" long.

I don't know if that works out okay or not.  I made all mini loaves, so I could freeze them easily.  And because I like the ends of the loaf best.  Smiley

Mare
xaipete
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:56:17 PM »

Ten ounces of dough makes a pretty small baguette, but it will reach the length of a 1/2-sized sheet pan. --Pamela
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 10:26:20 PM by xaipete » Logged
nolan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:25:11 PM »

That's my point, Pamela.  It sounds like baguettes for the Coupe du Monde are even smaller (in terms of the amount of dough per baguette), though the pictures don't make them seem that small.  Are those baguettes that much airier? 

I've never been to Paris (we spent 3 weeks touring Ireland, Scotland, England, Italy and Germany in 2006), but if I do get there I plan to visit as many boulangeries as time and my waistline will permit.  Will the baguettes there be anything like my own? 

BTW, Mare, I agree with you about the ends being the best, which is why, given a choice, I will make epis.  That way you get lots of 'ends'.  :-)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:29:51 PM by nolan » Logged
xaipete
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »

I really like pizza made with Classic French Bread dough. The baguettes are pretty small at 10 to 12 ounces; epis are probably the way to go. --Pamela
yogajan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 12:26:54 AM »

I just returned from a baguette baking course at San Francisco Baking Institute.  Our instructor had us weigh the dough at 350 gm.  Since I have been home, I found that they are somewhat long for my kitchen oven, so I reduced my current batch to 300 gms.  They are resting now and I will let you know how they turn out.

SFBI is a wonderful place to go for hands on training.  We made about 40 baguettes each on the weekend.  I tried to stuff as many as I could on my carry-on to bring home.  What we couldn't take, are delivered to the homeless, which made me feel good. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: